Furikake Cauli Burger
Cauliflower steak with Japanese sprinkle, goes sandwich style. Yes please - I will take two… Keep your cost down by substituting proteins for veg.
- Heat a dry, heavy-bottomed skillet over a medium high burner.
- Pour in the sesame seeds and shake to distribute evenly over the surface of the skillet.
- Toast, shaking occasionally, until the seeds are fragrant and begin making little popping sounds.
- Immediately pour the seeds into a dry, clean bowl to cool and stir in the sea salt. Allow to cool completely before proceeding.
- Use kitchen shears or clean, dry scissors to cut the nori into 1-inch strips. Stack the strips and cut cross-wise into very thin strips over the bowl of sesame seeds.
- Use the kitchen shears again to roughly cut up the bonito flakes.
- Add the sugar (if using) and stir all ingredients together, then transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- This is ready to use immediately but can be stored in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight for up to two months.
- Lightly toast burger buns ready to serve.
- Wash and drain cos lettuce and set aside ready to use.
- Seal cauliflower steaks on the grill and the lay onto an oven tray ready to bake. Brush with teriyaki sauce then bake until just soft.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Furikake seasoning.
- Assemble burger.