In addition to swearing like a sailor, here are some essential back of house tips you should be making a habit.
- Long menus lead to confusion for everyone. Start simple and concentrate on quality produce cooked well. You and your team will be able to be more efficient, diners will be happy and you will be dealing with less wastage.
- Communicate well with front of house. They need to be delivering food on time to diners to avoid confusion and congestion, and you don't want anything dying on the pass.
- Communicate well with back of house also. Coordination is essential for any busy kitchen where there are multiple cooks in charge of different dishes and components.
- Conduct regular food wastage audits on your kitchen to make sure there's limited waste.
- Incorporate some ready-made ingredients where you can to reduce making everything from scratch and to avoid mistakes.
- Prep as much as you can beforehand to give yourself the best advantage come service time.
- Don't stretch yourself too thin. You will perform better, and keep your sanity.
- Put systems in place to ensure your kitchen is organised. Organisation doesn't kill creativity in the kitchen, it gives you the time to experiment.